The Nokia XL, is a mid-tier smartphone released by Nokia running a modified (forked) version of Android with Nokia' own services, as part of the Nokia X family. It is one of three Android devices from Nokia, their first devices on the platform.
The Nokia XL was announced in a surprising manner at the 2014 edition of Mobile World Congress on 24 February 2014 which was held in Barcelona, Spain. Nokia XL was much of a hardware upgrade from the other members of the maiden Nokia X family. It came with a 5-inch touchscreen instead of the 4-inch ones on the others. It featured a bigger camera (5 MP sensor) and also a LED flash and 2 MP front-facing camera—the last two are absent on the Nokia X and Nokia X+ models.
The three Nokia X handsets all feature a heavily-customised version of Google’s Android OS designed to act as a conduit for Microsoft, not Google, services – things like Bing, Skype and OneDrive are all present; Google Play is not available on this phone. Nokia also confirmed that Android applications can be sideloaded on any of the Nokia X handsets, meaning early adopters can still run nearly all of their favourite apps while Nokia and Microsoft build up the X’s Android App Store.
The UX itself is reminiscent of Windows Phone and is tile-based, which was always going to be the case. This way you can be in Android but feel like you’re still very much inside Microsoft’s ecosystem – which you sort of are, anyway. You can resize the tiles as well as drag and drop them.
- 5.0 inches IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors.
- Includes microSD slot, up to 32 GB and internal memory of 4 GB storage, 768 MB RAM.
- Bluetooth, Wifi, GPRS and USB supported.
- 5 MP camera with 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus and LED flash.
- 1/4'' sensor size, panorama, face detection.
- 480p video recording @30fps.
- 2 MP secondary camera for video calling.
- Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) with Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A5 CPU, Qualcomm MSM8225 Snapdragon S4 Play Chipset and Adreno 203 GPU.
- Supported sensors :Accelerometer, proximity.
- Other info: GPS with A-GPS support, Stereo FM radio
- Colors: Bright green, orange, cyan, yellow, black, white.
- Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery (BN-02)
- Stand by: Up to 720 h, Music play Up to 37h.
- Talk time: Up to 16 h (2G) / Up to 13 h (3G)